Support for Parents and Guardians
As a parent or guardian, it’s important to talk to your child about jobs that interest them. You may be able to support them in looking into different careers, or finding out which skills and qualities are required to do certain jobs.
Here are our top tips on how best to support your child;
- Listen, and understand, their career goals and worries
- Be willing to support your child to explore a range of career options
- Remember that career choices should be based on ability and your child’s goals, not on what you think they should do.
- Remember that your child’s career goals may change as they grow older
Helping Plan a Career
To help plan and decide on a career, you can support your child to:
- Share ideas about their career goals
- Find out more information on options for education, employment and training within your local area
- Support them to find ways to develop skills that will be relevant to their career goal
- Go to career events at schools and colleges within your local community
Click here to find out more about GCSE and A Level requirements for roles in Health and Social Care
Find out more about how skills in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) are transferable are transferable to roles in Health and Social Care